Friday, August 17, 2012

Just One

an you imagine a world where every child has enough to eat... that when they walk into the house announcing that they're "starving" every. single. mom. can smile and know that her precious baby is just practicing his dramatics and chuckle to herself, as she reaches into her pantry to get him a snack.  
They might still get sick but they'd recover quicker... less of them needing to be hospitalized... less children would suffer from headaches, stomachaches, colds, ear infections and fatigue. 


Even when I limit my thoughts to just the hungry kids in our country, I can get overwhelmed... I mean, I'm just one mom... How can I make a difference in the 16.2 million kids in America that struggle with hunger?  And then I remember...


Start with just one.


That's exactly what we're doing here at Bear Necessities.  We focus on that one child who sits next to ours at lunch... that one child that plays with ours at recess.  When we remember that one child the most amazing thing happens... we move... we act... and we save more children!


Over the last year we have fed between 9-35 kids every. single. week.  We ARE making a difference in their lives and I'd dare to say in the lives of every one who helps.  I'm hoping in the next few weeks to come up with some stories to tell you JUST how we've made a difference.  
What I'm asking of you is, if Bear Necessities has made a difference to you, your child(ren), &/or your family as either a volunteer, donor or recipient, please send an email to dorinda_peyton@yahoo.com and let me know how.  If you'd prefer to be anonymous, feel free to mail it to: 

Dorinda Peyton
118 Wimbledon Ct.
O'Fallon, MO 63368


Some of our great volunteers
'Cause here's the deal, this one mom didn't do all of this... Nope!  Each and every child that has been fed this last year through Bear Necessities has been because of  YOU, the community, and how we work together to serve God and each other.  In fact, if I weren't here to do my part anymore, I am confident that one of you would take over... it would not end because now you know how it feels to make a difference!
 

Since our sign ups went home last week, we have quickly increased in number and we're definitely serving more than one student.  


The following list is what we will need by next Thursday at noon:

17 individual boxes of cereal
10 oatmeal envelopes
30 cans of chili
30 cans beefaroni
29 cans of peas
22 juice boxes
30 small bags of cheez its
16 nutragrain bars



Thanks to my hubby, we now have permanent shelving and can hold quite a bit more for our kids!




He gave justice and help to the poor and needy,
    and everything went well for him.
Isn’t that what it means to know me?  says the Lord.
Jeremiah 22:16

No comments:

Post a Comment