Friday, October 14, 2011

Fall Break is nearly over!

Hi Everyone!  As fall break is coming to a close I wanted to give an update on how we're doing with donations for next week.  For the bags that will be packed on October 20 we only have a few things left for them to be filled:

2 cans of Beefaroni
14 fruit snasks
10 apples

The following week, October 27, we still need the following:

24 Peanut Butter
24 Plastic jars of Jelly
1 box of Ritz Crackers
15 individual Easy Mac envelopes
17 cans of green beans
7 fruit cups
30 apples

 I'm so grateful for those who have dropped items off over the break.  During this time I've had the opportunity to talk with members of the Francis Howell Community that were unaware of what we're doing at John Weldon and everyone has been so excited about it and impressed at how God has called us each week to bring exactly what these kids need! 

I also had the opportunity to speak with a nutritionist about the food choices we are able to send home with the kids.  There was really only a couple of concerns and unfortunately, it's mostly the lesser of two evils kind of situation.  Pasta noodles with sauce would be healthier for the kids than beefaroni or ravioli but there's no guarantee that a child will be able to prepare that themselves or that there will be someone available to prepare for them.  In fact, I still don't trust my nine year old with a pot of boiling water.  So, for the moment, we're going to stick with what we're sending with a few minor changes in the future.  You'll see some things getting phased out, like fruit snacks and you'll see a request for produce each week.  We have been sending produce every other week but will make it a goal to do it weekly.  Apples are easiest as they won't get smashed in backpacks.  Any other item of produce that is "backpack resistant" is welcomed as well.  As for the other suggestions, she recommended that we send as much low sodium stuff as we can though I know that often, we're getting what's on sale.  So, if you can... Great!  If you cannot... Great!  I'm going with the theory (and she agreed) that food is better than no food!

I hope that everyone has taken the fall break to spend some wonderful quiet or crazy exciting moments with the kiddos!  Just as much as their tummies need to be fed every day, their little hearts and souls crave the attention of their parents!  I, for one, have loved the extra time to take walks, watch movies, do crafts (for the record, I hate crafts but the kiddies love them so momma breaks out the craft box on breaks!), and just listen to the brilliant things they have to say.   I'm constantly amazed by the wisdom that comes from their little mouths and wonder how much I've missed in the craziness of the day to day life!  I'm so thankful for the few times a year I am forced to take a break and just give them a whole week!



No comments:

Post a Comment