Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hunger Hurts

Last week I read this article on abcnews.com that made me even more grateful that Bear Necessities has begun serving kids.  As I sit here with my Madeline, who is awaiting the been-on-my-antibiotic-for-24-hrs-to-go-back-to-school, she asked about the article I was rereading.  I was stunned when she said "I bet it's hard to work when you're hungry."  She's right.  We all know it... in theory... but I doubt that most of us know what it's like to be really hungry and still be expected to perform like these kids are.  According to this news article "one in four children in the country is living without consistent access to enough nutritious food to live a healthy life."  It's hard for me to imagine really.  One in FOUR...  Almost every day I have at least four kids in my car.  Now, I know that they aren't the ones going without but if I think of their faces and ask myself, which one would you choose to be the one to go without enough nutritious food to live  a healthy life?  I simply could not choose.  Each and every one of them matters and deserves to have their needs met.  The same is true of all kids! 

I'm including a link for you to read the article but I just wanted to say THANK YOU again for all the support for Bear Necessiteis!  When I went to talk to Mrs. Crigler last year I wasn't even sure if there was a need at John Weldon but there definitely is!  I can only imagine what all God desires to do for these kids but being able to help them each week by keeping them fed is the first step and we're making it together.  I know it sounds cliche` but together, we really do make a difference! 


HUNGER HURTS by abcnews

No comments:

Post a Comment